Being pregnant is one of life’s greatest joys; however, the accompanying morning sickness is not fun to deal with. So what can you do to avoid taking up residence in the bathroom once you are pregnant? How can you avoid the nausea associated with morning sickness without depending on expensive and possibly harmful pills?
Thankfully, for you I have the answer. During this article I will give you multiple morning sickness remedies that are natural, affordable and safe. So sit tight and enjoy this informative article.
17 Natural Ways to Manage Morning Sickness
Though morning sickness is a normal part of pregnancy which cannot be avoided, the following remedies will help you ease the symptoms (nausea and vomiting) which you may be experiencing.
- Make tea from grated root ginger, let it cool, and sip it slowly throughout the day. Alternatively, you can take ginger capsules, gingersnaps, and ginger candy if you dislike the taste of ginger tea.
- You can also make yourself a cup of spearmint or peppermint tea when you are feeling hot and uncomfortable. If you do not want the tea, you can opt for sugarless peppermint chewing gum and sweets.
- Herbal remedies are also great for combating morning sickness, and these can come in the form of slippery elm lozenges, chamomile tea, and lemon balm tea. However, these solutions are usually short-term, and you might want to supplement them with other remedies.
- Acupressure is also another method of managing morning sickness. In this case you should press down on an acupuncture point on your wrist, in order to relieve yourself of the wave of nausea that is threatening to overcome you. You can use an acupressure wristband to help you with this process.
- If movement e.g. car motion makes your morning sickness worse, then put on headphones and listen to music. The pulsing beats will restore balance in your inner ear, relieving the motion sickness.
- Eat foods that are rich in Vitamin B-6 such as chicken and avocados. If you do not want to get the Vitamin B in food form, you can take a supplement to reduce your nausea.
- Aromatherapy may help relieve nausea, using peppermint, spearmint, lemon, lime, and ginger essential oils.
- Another way of managing morning sickness is going through reflexology with a registered practitioner.
- If you are suffering from emotional issues like anxiety, stress, and fear, they may end up aggravating your morning sickness symptoms. In this case, hypnotherapy might reduce these emotional issues which may in turn have a positive impact on your morning sickness problems.
- Take a sick day when you are feeling too nauseated to get out of bed. And during the seventh to eighth week when morning sickness is at its peak, take some vacation time. The time off will help your body recover from the hard work it takes to grow a baby.
- While morning sickness seems random, it often occurs on a somewhat regular schedule. You might find yourself nauseated and vomiting first thing in the morning, mid-afternoon, or in the early evening. It is wise to start tracking your sickness, so that you can identify what is triggering your sickness e.g. the neighbors cooking or your coworker’s perfume. When you know your sickness triggers, you can avoid them as much as you can.
- Stay hydrated at all times, as nausea increases with dehydration. If you are not feeling up to taking fluids, trick your body into feeling thirsty by doing things like eating salty snacks.
- Every mother has a different food that they can eat without filling queasy, and it is up to you to identify which foods these are. Most pregnant women find that certain foods like carb-rich snacks (crackers), pretzels, dry cereal, and ice cold treats (popsicles, watermelons) are easy to keep down.
Alternatively, fatty foods and spicy meals may make morning sickness worse.
- Eating small snacks throughout the day prevents nausea due to an empty stomach and nausea caused by overeating.
- Take a short walk or participate in light exercise in order to distract yourself from morning sickness.
- Take a few breaths and lie down, and treat yourself to a well deserved rest. This is a great way of combating morning sickness.
- Strong smells act like triggers for morning sickness, and when this occurs you should sniff a fresh scent or breathe in some fresh air. Some fresh scents that work include lemon and rosemary.
With the information provided above you can now go ahead with your daily routine without the fear of succumbing to sickness in the middle of nowhere. And before I forget, congratulations on your baby!Read More